Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What Getting Robbed on the Bus Taught Me About Being Present

Hello All!

Yes, you read that title right. I got robbed on the bus today. License, debit card, Chilean ID, health card, Wheaton ID, approximately $35 in cash, and even a photocopy of my passport taken right out of my bag as I waited to disembark to go to class. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I had already stepped off the bus and the micro had zoomed away at a breakneck speed.

Before anyone panics, thanks to the most miraculous support team in the world (aka my parents) I was able to cancel my card before any damage was done, my program has lent me money, and I still have my phone. I'll take what little victories I can get.

I came to realize (after the initial freak out) that I had not only become comfortable in living in Viña and Valparaíso, but I had become complacent. Sure, I made a bucket list, but even doing those things was just going through the motions of "what I had to do to get home." I had stopped focusing on where I was, and had started focusing on a place where the grass was currently a very lovely shade of green.

Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about New England in the summer.

But all that energy I was spending on thinking of where I was going to be in six weeks made me lose track of where I was. And as my mother so lovingly put it; "You know, you're still white, they're gonna target you." My father of course rejoiced to mention my ever-present need for "spacial awareness". And me? I gained a whole new level of appreciation for living in the now. What'll happen will happen, and time will pass. There's no point in trying to force it to speed up, you just miss things.

Now, what I happened to miss was me getting robbed, but it's still a significant philosophical development.

From Valpo, With Love,

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment